Shelfari

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Thing Fourteen: Technorati and Tags

Technorati; I just don't know what to say about it. I did not find it terribly user friendly; it took me a while to figure things out and get the RSS feed to work. For some reason the format the "Safari" gave was not compatible with the format the Technorati wanted. I finally just put in my URL for the RSS feed and they accepted that; I'm not sure how long it will take for them to actually claim my blog, but we will see. I did search, but nothing I found really jumped out at me as something I needed to follow. Am I old fashioned? I love technology, but the whole tags thing holds no interest for me. Perhaps I have a love of the hunt, finding what it is I am looking for on my own merit, rather than through tags. I have never revisited Delicious or Flickr, except for creative commons when I need a photo, and I'm not sure that I will really revisit Technorati either. The way I could see it working for a librarian is that it would allow you to claim your library blog, if you have one, as well as search other blogs for ideas from other librarians. It could give you ideas and information on collaboration and allow you to give and receive ideas and information with other librarians.

Okay, that's all I've got! I'm going to quickly move on to the next thing, and hope that it is more fun. I want to create things, not just search things.

3 comments:

  1. Try to remember that tags help you locate similar items. If you can relate tags to the subject headings and key words you use when looking up things in any libary catalog, you will understand the imprtance and value of tags with regards to things online.
    I also suspect you will change your thoughts about delicious and other similar things as diigo once you get more comfortable with tagging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you are right, but right now they just don't hold much interest for me. I'll keep working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your somewhat moderate frustration when it comes to searching and tagging versus creating. I just keep reminding myself that this is the groundwork that will allow us to create more in the future. I am not currently at the point in my blog but I have used Technorati before. I am not sure how I stand on tags. I feel like there are inherent flaws in categories because nothing is ever really categorical. Also, with so many items being opened up socially, the term and definition of a category begins to change with the subjective view of the users. I am was not blown out of the water by Technorati but I imagine these things will just make us more versed in the cyber-world.

    ReplyDelete