Shelfari

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Thing Eighteen: Open Office/Google Docs vs. Microsoft Office

Eighteen down and five more to go...for this "thing" we were supposed to explore either OpenOffice or Google Docs, or both! I chose Google Docs, simply because I was unable to download the free open office at school, it was blocked, and I do all my school work on my personal computer during my conference period, so Google Docs it is! I enjoy this free online resources because it does allow you to collaborate with a group of people without having to send things via email, and that is a huge advantage in the world of education where time is of the essence. As well, you can create things from already formatted templates rather than creating the entire thing from scratch, that is another advantage. One of the disadvantages is that there are less option as with the Microsoft Office you purchase, obviously by purchasing something it allows you more than the free versions of things, but for the most part you can do without a lot of those features. One that I might not be able to live without is "track changes" on Microsoft Office, well really on iworks, because I use that so much with my students when they turn in their papers. It give me the chance to make suggestions and comments without it being in red, or marking all over their paper. Then, they can accept it or not. Now, I'm not sure if OpenOffice has this option has I have not had the chance to play with it yet, but I will definitely look into it as an option other than purchasing the Microsoft Office package for the mac. Over and out!

I thought I woudl add two "forms" I created using Google Docs for my classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment